Steps in the Preparation Process
2. Read the accompanying page “Some Laws of the Church Related to Baptism.” Please use this information in deciding whether or not you are ready to accept the responsibility of being the parent(s) of a baptized child at this time and whether or not your proposed sponsors (godparents) are prepared and qualified.
3. Fill out the registration form completely. Click here to download form.
4. a) Call the rectory (805) 922-5826 to make an appointment with the deacon or baptismal team member for your pre-baptismal interview. Both parents must come to the interview unless they are no longer together. Godparents do not come to the interview. Bring your completed form with you to the interview where it will be reviewed and discussed.
b) If you do not live within the boundaries of St. Mary of the Assumption Parish (south of Alvin & north of McCoy) or are not registered parishioners here, even if you attend Mass regularly in this church, you must request the Letter of Permission to Baptize from the parish in which you do live. Basically, just stop by the Rectory of your parish and request the letter. Usually it is a simple procedure. There might be a fee for the issuance of the letter.
c) A copy of the child’s official Birth Certificate must be submitted at the interview. The purpose for this requirement is for us to verify information we receive to ensure that it is correct. We keep your documents confidential.
d) A non-refundable processing fee of $25 will be collected at the interview time along with any accompanying paperwork.
5. Attend a pre-baptismal class before the baptism. Parents and godparents must attend the class.(Please do not bring children to class) You will receive a certificate of completion at the end of class. If you lose your certificate, you may request a replacement in the Rectory, for a $10.00 fee. We do not mail class certificates.
a) It is the parents’ responsibility to submit all Pre-baptism Class Certificates to the Rectorybefore the week the child is scheduled for baptism, in order to complete the child’s baptism paperwork.
If the class was taken at another parish or if it was taken within the last two or three years, certificates from that class may be presented, if they have not expired. If expired, then the class must be re-taken. For authenticity purposes, the certificates can be e-mailed or faxed to us ONLY IF we receive them directly from the church where the class was taken. We do not accept e-mailed or faxed certificates from a personal or secular business fax number.
6. Celebrate the baptism. On the day of the baptism, please arrive at the church 15 minutes prior to the scheduled time of Baptism.
A word on your donation: Catholics have an obligation to support their parish community with their “time, talent, and treasure.” Your donation on the day of the baptism goes to the parish, not to the priest. Please use the special envelope provided on the day of the baptism for your donation. The suggested donation for the church is $50.00. If you wish, you may give a donation to the priest/deacon on the day of the baptism, which it is optional. These donations are independent from the originally requested fee for the processing of paperwork.
IMPORTANT: Please note that NO date will be confirmed to baptize until all the required paperwork has been submitted to the Rectory. If after the Baptism any of the requirements are still missing, the Certificate of Baptism will not be issued until all requirements are met and paperwork is complete.